Working Around the National Personnel Records Center Fire of 1973

Millions of personnel records for members of the U.S. armed forces who served during the twentieth century were destroyed as a result of the 1973 fire at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in Overland, Missouri. These records had not been duplicated or microfilmed, so the loss was tremendous. Many genealogists researching men and women who participated in World War I and World War II assume that all records were destroyed and that no information is available; however, that is not necessarily the case.

Only NGS members have access to full articles of NGS Monthly. Please log in or click here to learn more about joining the National Genealogical Society. 

If you have trouble logging on or accessing the articles, please contact [email protected] 

  1. October 13, 2015 4:37 pm
  2. October 13, 2015 7:02 pm
  3. October 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *